When it's a beautiful summer's day and you've got time to enjoy it, the last thing you want to have to deal with is plumbing problems. But how do you avoid some of the common plumbing issues that pop up so frequently? Here are some of the top issues we see every summer and what you can do to keep them from disrupting your perfect summer plans.
Common Summer Plumbing Issues
- Clogged Disposal: The kids are home, you're cooking out and who knows what will go down your garbage disposal this summer. To avoid a clogged disposal, make sure nothing is going down it that shouldn't, like those delicious ribs you just had for dinner.
- Digging Oops: Water or gas line repair are common issues as new yard projects are undertaken. To be on the safe side, contact your utility before digging to locate the lines. It's much better to build a barbecue than accidentally become one.
- Sewer Line Backup: Summer means heavy rain, overwhelming your sewer line and backing up. If you have your downspouts going into your sewer line, you may want to consider either upgrading the line or adding a rain barrel to water the garden when the dry weather hits again.
- Toilet Clogs: When the kids are home, you know they don't see the problem with stuffing half a roll of toilet paper down the drain - every time. A little education on the 5-piece rule and what should or should not go down the drain can help you avoid this issue.
- Washing Machine Supply/Drain: Kids at home also means more laundry and more muck going into the laundry. If clothes are particularly muddy, hose them down first to avoid backing up the line. Then check pockets for any papers that can cause clogs.
By being aware of these issues, you can be proactive in avoiding them and ensure that you can spend your time doing what you love instead of dealing with them all summer. If you find yourself facing one of these issues and need some help getting it fixed, Stahl Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning is here to help. Please feel free to contact us today with any questions or to schedule an appointment with one of our experienced professionals. Stahl Plumbing is the emergency plumber Pittsburgh trusts to get the job done right.