When the temperatures drop, you want don't want to have to call for emergency heating service. Not only does this cost money, but you're without heat for an indeterminate period of time. Keep your home warm and inviting by properly maintaining your furnace. If you want to avoid heating repair this winter, check out the following tips for keeping your furnace working properly from a company that offers local heating and full-service plumbing in Pittsburgh, PA:
- Let your furnace breathe: Don't store a lot around your home's furnace. Because furnaces are located in basements or utility closets, it's inevitable that it shares storage space. That being said, keep boxes, lawnmowers, and anything combustible at least 10 feet from the furnace.
- Change your furnace's filter: At least once a season, change the filter. When a furnace has a dirty filter, air flow is restricted. The furnace is at risk of developing an overheated heat exchanger and the unit experiences efficiency issues. Remembering to change the filter isn't always easy, though. That's because your furnace is usually out of sight and out of mind. Set yourself a reminder on your phone or computer to help you remember.
- Check the access panel: Is the panel secure? Is it missing any obvious parts? If so, contact your local heating and all service plumbing in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Install a smart thermostat: Did you know that thermostat issues cause a lot of furnace issues? If you have an older thermostat, consider installing a smart thermostat. These devices keep heating and plumbing repair costs in Pittsburgh, PA, low and also lower your utility costs. It's well worth the investment to install a smart thermostat.
- Make sure heat is circulating: To make sure heat is getting to all areas of the house, check to make sure all the vents around the home are open. Closed vents make rooms cooler and also put more strain on the HVAC system.
- Consider replacing the system: No one wants to hear that they should replace their furnace, but sometimes, it's a necessary purchase. Older units don't work as well and constantly need fixing. If you're spending a lot of money on repairs, consider how much money a new furnace can save you.
Contact Your Local Heating and Cooling Company for Maintenance
Regular maintenance improves efficiency and helps you get as many years out of your system as possible. Local heating companies come out and check your system for any problems that might affect its function. Also, when you choose a company that offers heating and full-service plumbing in Pittsburgh, PA, you get more bang for your buck. These companies offer a wide range of services designed to protect your home's major systems such as outdoor plumbing repair, shower plumbing installation in Pittsburgh, PA, and more! Contact your local heating and plumbing professional services today to learn more about protective services for your home's major systems.