Nothing is worse in the middle of summer than an AC unit suffering from a mold problem. Mildew and black mold are far from minor nuisances. When airborne, their microscopic spores can cause a ton of health problems, especially in a person's respiratory system.
Why Mold on Your AC Is Dangerous
People who suffer from asthma and other breathing problems are at an even greater risk, which is why you should never wait to take action if your AC starts demonstrating signs of mold growth. Of these, the tell-tale symptoms include a musty scent, which will obviously be more prominent the closer you get to the source. If you suspect there is a problem, smell the area near your home's floor vents. A pungent odor may indicate mold at the site of outside unit.
Of course, due to the possibility that the odor may be coming from an alternate source, scent-testing is not a sure-fire test by itself, but it will tell you whether something is wrong. The next step is to visually inspect the outside unit. This may require the use of a flashlight to get a clear view of the device's internals unless the mold has developed to a serious stage and has begun to creep onto the exterior. The inside is where you should be looking first as mold thrives in dark, damp spaces.
When AC units are left exposed during the winter months (instead of covered as they should be), mold can develop. Condensation occurs on the machine's coils as a result of dripping water, and since these components are known to accumulate dirt quite easily, mold starts to grow.
Failure to adequately cover your AC in the winter is not the only contributing factor to mold growth. Incorrectly sized and inferior-quality air filters as well as an air intake located in a moldy basement are also viable threats. If you can afford one, always install a HEPA filter as these types are designed to capture 99 percent of mold and mildew spores.
Any defects in your AC's ductwork system can also harbor mold, so the best thing to do is contact our Pittsburgh plumbers at Stahl Plumbing upon initial contact. Never let a mold problem go unfixed as the damage caused by this nasty substance can easily range into the thousands of dollars and poses a significant health hazard to you and your family! Our emergency plumbing pros are standing by to answer your call.