Most garbage disposal units require careful use to keep them running smoothly. However, even if you follow the guidelines of your unit precisely, it is possible that from time to time you could encounter a jam. In some cases, you may need to contact a plumber—like our team at Stahl Plumbing—for assistance; there are certain jams you can resolve yourself. We have put together a simple guide to unjamming a garbage disposal. Just remember, if you have any questions or concerns, reach out to us at Stahl Plumbing and let us help! We have a master plumber on staff that can answer your questions and help you with all your plumbing issues.
Six Steps to Clear Your Garbage Disposal Jams
• First, unplug your unit. Before you do any work on your garbage disposal, it is important that you unplug the unit so that there is no risk of electrical shock or any chance that the disposal will turn on accidentally.
• Find the hex-head slot under your blade unit. This slot should have come with a matching wrench, or you may be able to use a standard Allen Wrench.
• Slide the wrench into the slot and slowly move it back and forth so the blades move. The object that is caught in the blades should dislodge if you move carefully.
• You may need to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull loose a stuck item if it seems to require extra assistance.
• Once the blades are free, make sure you can move them freely using the wrench, without resistance.
• Then, plug the unit back in, press the reset button and run it for a bit using plenty of water. Running the unit in this way should finish off any remaining residue stuck in your blades and drain area.
While a garbage disposal jam may seem like a complicated problem, in many cases, this garbage disposal repair is something you can resolve in just a few minutes. Just take care to protect yourself from injury by following all precautions and reading your disposal's instruction manual. If you do this, you should be able to complete this household task safely.
If you need any assistance with your plumbing needs, simply fill out our contact form or give us a call to speak with one of our experienced team members. We will gladly answer any questions you have.