During the summer, you could easily spend more money on water. However, with these preventative measures, you can watch your water bill go down instead of up. These tips are easy to implement and can save you a lot of money over time.
1. While gardening, avoid yanking on your water hose. This tip is two-fold. If you yank the hose while watering, you could cause it to rip and tear. These tears or rips will likely go unnoticed because they tend to be small, but they can cause a lot of excess water to leak out of your hose. This causes you to use more water than necessary without even realizing it. Additionally, you run the risk of disengaging the hose bib. If this happens, water will go everywhere and your shut off valve could potentially break.
2. Be extra careful while cutting your grass. If you have a sprinkler system set up in your yard, you run the risk of running over the sprinkler lines and heads. Doing so could cause a big mess and water to spew everywhere. You should identify where your sprinkler lines and heads are located to help avoid running over them.
3. Shut off your water meter when out of town. Summertime often leads to vacation time and while on vacation, you should turn off your water meter. If you cut this off, you will also want to cut off your water heater. Even though no water will be used while you are away, you want to take this precaution. Imagine if you had a pipe burst while you were away and had water throughout your home. Not only would it be a mess to clean up but you will have to pay for all of that damaging water.
4. Check your hoses before summer hits. With more fun in the sun comes more washing of clothes. That is why it is important to inspect all of your hoses to ensure they are in good working condition as well as no leaks. The last thing you want is for one of these to break and cause a bigger and pricier mess to take care of.
5. Have a preventative maintenance inspection for your plumbing done before summer. This ensures that all of your plumbing is working correctly so you do not have any surprises. After all, that is why we are here. We want to help you maintain a good plumbing system and know what to look for. Call a representative at Stahl Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning to schedule your routine maintenance check before summer!