When it comes to conservation of clean water, there are easy ways and hard ways to go about addressing the problem. If you're not ready for rainwater cisterns and greywater systems, here are several easy ways to save water without spending a lot of money on expensive equipment and Pittsburgh plumbers:
Saving Water at Home: 13 Easy Approaches
- Turn the tap off when you're brushing your teeth. This saves up to 200 gallons of water every month.
- Use the shower. A shower uses about 1/2 to 1/10 the water that a bath uses.
- Address any leaks. Would you flush your toilet randomly 50 times daily? That's how much water a leaky toilet can waste.
- Water plants wisely. In the summer, water first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening, so the water can soak in while it's still cool instead of evaporating away.
- Use a bucket and sponge to wash your car. A hose can dump up to six gallons per minute if left running.
- Only use your washer or dishwasher when they're full or can adjust the load size. Running small batches wastes a lot of water every year.
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator instead of running the tap until it gets cold.
- Thaw meat in the refrigerator or microwave instead of using running water to thaw it.
- Instead of using your garbage disposal, start a compost bin. This also gives you great compost for your garden.
- Insulate your pipes to keep hot water warmer while sitting in supply lines. This may even help you get your hot water faster!
- If the faucet temperature is too extreme, turn down the offending temperature instead of turning the other one up.
- Raise your mower blade. Letting your grass grow a little higher makes it less susceptible to disease and helps it compete against weeks while keeping the soil cooler and more moist.
Saving clean water is nothing less than good stewardship of our earth. If you want to go further in saving water at home, why not contact the plumber Pittsburgh homeowners have trusted with their problems and updates for over 50 years? At Stahl Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning we're proud to be one of the best plumbing companies Pittsburgh has to offer.